89th chat, Tuesday September 5 2017: the weight and worth of professionalism
6pm Pacific / 7pm Mountain / 8pm Central / 9pm Eastern
- You Call It Professionalism: I Call It Oppression in a Three-Piece Suit by Carmen Rios (February 15 2015). Everyday Feminism.
- I’m Leaving the Archival Profession: It’s Better This Way by Jarrett M. Drake (June 26 2017). Medium.
- Librarianship Doesn’t Need Professionals by Madison Sullivan (January 19 2016). ACRLog.
- Professionalism: Value and Ideology [pdf] by Julia Evetts (March 12 2013). Sociopedia.isa. DOI: 10.1177/205684601231
- Q1. What is the culture of professionalism in your workplace? In your area of librarianship?
- Q2. How do definitions of professionalism differ from the democratic and social values advocated by librarianship?
- Q3. What are ways that professionalism is oppressive?
- Q4. How can we cultivate acceptance of different attitudes towards professionalism/redefine professionalism to be more inclusive and accommodating of different experiences/identities?
- Q5. How do you represent yourself authentically in the workplace or as a job seeker while navigating organizational expectations?