14th chat, September 23 2014: identity and gendered/intersectional status, stereotypes
Moderated by @pumpedlibrarian
Reading: Ice Ice Baby: Are Librarian Stereotypes Freezing Us out of Instruction? on In the Library with the Lead Pipe
- Have you experienced negative effects from librarian stereotypes in your teaching?
- What are implications for us being viewed as “helpers?” How can we be change the impression to “collaborators?”
- What do you do to overcome stereotypes with your students? Whether librarian stereotypes or identity-based stereotypes?
- Do you feel an uneven expectation for women & intersectional librarians to engage in “emotional labor?” If yes, how is this harmful?
- How can we negate “warm” and “cold/competent” as mutually exclusive?