77th chat, Tuesday February 7 2017: first-generation library workers in the academy
6pm Pacific / 7pm Mountain / 8pm Central / 9pm Eastern
- Crissinger, Sarah. Still lost in the academy: the importance of #L1S and other first generation initiatives, ACRLog (2015).
- Walker, Cecily. Bridging the experience gap, Cecily.info (2015)
- Fullick, Melonie. It’s time to rethink academic conference funding, University Affairs (2016)
- Johnson, Eric. Micro-barriers loom large for first-generation students, Chronicle of Higher Education (2016)
Note: first generation/working class abbreviated as “1G/WC”.
- Q1. What difficulties do 1G/WC library/archive workers experience that others may not? #critlib
- Q2. What things have 1G/WC had to learn that others may take for granted? #critlib
- Q3. What tips/advice would you give to 1G/WC students/future students? #critlib
- Q4. What are ways to address classism in libraries/archives/the academy? #critlib
- Q5. How can we encourage everyone stand in solidarity with 1G/WC people on a tangible level? #critlib
- First generation student: a college student whose parents/guardians have not completed a bachelor’s degree