104th chat, Tuesday April 24 2018: bias in web searching
6 pm Pacific / 7 pm Mountain / 8 pm Central / 9 pm Eastern
- Noble, Safiya Umoja. Algorithms of Oppression: How Search Engines Reinforce Racism (New York : New York University Press, 2018)
- Flaherty, Colleen. Questioning ‘Algorithms of Oppression’. Inside Higher Ed, February 6 2018.
- Q1. What are some examples of problematic bias in web searching? What harm is done by bias in searching? #critlib
- Q2. As creators of information, how can we be sure problematic biases don’t make their way into our own creations and work? #critlib
- Q3. How can we thoughtfully perform bias analyses on our own systems? #critlib
- Q4. What can we do to help our communities understand the biases that exist in web searching? #critlib