114th chat, Monday October 22 2018: going fee free
11 am Pacific / noon Mountain / 1 pm Central / 2 pm Eastern
- Dixon, Jennifer A. and Steven A. Gillis. Doing Fine(s)? : Fines & Fees. Library Journal, April 4 2017.
- Washington Post Editorial Board. More libraries are going fine-free. That’s good for everyone. Washington Post, June 17 2018.
- Johnson Depriest, Meg. Removing Barriers to Access: Eliminating Library Fines and Fees on Children’s Materials (pdf). 2018.
- Q1. What are the rationales behind charging fines and fees in libraries? How effective are they in meeting those goals? #critlib
- Q2. Which of our patrons are most directly affected by library fines and fees? In what ways do fines affect patron access to and perception of libraries? #critlib
- Q3. What are some different strategies for trying to go fee-free? In which kinds of libraries would each strategy work best? #critlib
- Q4. What apprehensions do you have about going fee-free? What challenges would you need to overcome if you wanted to implement fewer (or no) fees? #critlib