46th chat, November 24 2015: #critlib and hiring practices
Anonymous posting: Talking about hiring and your place of work can be a sensitive subject. Chat participants who would like to post responses anonymously are welcome to send a DM (direct message) to @EamonTewell before or during the chat. Eamon will then share during the chat without revealing sources. (More info about how to send a DM.)
- “Soliciting Performance, Hiding Bias: Whiteness and Librarianship” by Angela Galvan: http://www.
inthelibrarywiththeleadpipe. org/2015/soliciting- performance-hiding-bias- whiteness-and-librarianship/
- “Get a Job” by Ruth Collings: http://blog.ruthcollings.ca/
- Q1. In what ways have you been a part of hiring processes? #critlib
- Q2. How do hiring practices in libraries perpetuate existing systems of inequality? #critlib
- Q3. How could hiring practices in libraries take biases into account? #critlib
- Q4. What actions can we take to change discriminatory and oppressive hiring practices? #critlib
- Q5. What might a #critlib hiring process look like?